We review 3 of the most popular humane mousetraps and explore the pros, cons, and practical tips for trapping mice safely.
Do you have a big heart & love all creatures big or small?
Does the thought of snap traps or
The humane mouse traps on this page were designed with folks like you in mind.
You don’t need to have murder on the brain to be successful in getting rid of mice from your home. There are many no-kill mouse traps that will catch mice without causing them harm.
We’ve reviewed the top 3 humane mouse traps and provided the pros and cons of each. All three traps allow you to visually see when you catch mice, so you can release them quickly. This is important to keep the pest control process as humane as possible.
Also included are great tips to get the best use from your no-kill mouse trap to solve your mouse problem fast.
Table of Contents
1. The Havahart Humane Mouse Trap
The Havahart Mouse Trap or as some like to call them Have a Heart mouse traps are a wonderful solution for anyone that just can’t bear to hurt a living thing.
The traps are made from wire mesh and reinforced with steel so they are very sturdy. These humane mouse traps were designed to be safe for both you and your family as well as the mice.
How It Works
Havahart mouse traps have two doors on either side of the trap. They are positioned so a mouse can enter from either side.
The bait table is in the center of the trap and connected to the doors by a sturdy wire. Once the mouse enters the trap and triggers the spring mechanism, the doors snap closed, catching the mouse inside.
- No-kill, live-catch trap.
- The traps are large enough so the mouse can move inside.
- The wire mesh provides good airflow, so the mice don’t suffocate while waiting for you to release them.
- The traps are reusable from year to year.
- The trigger is sensitive to help catch the mice the first time they enter the trap.
- The traps only catch one mouse at a time.
- It requires some practice to set the trap.
- It’s a bit large to place in some areas. The smallest model 1020 is 3 x 3 x 10 inches.
Tips for using the Havahart Mouse Traps
When you bait this trap, it is helpful to place a small dab of peanut butter in the middle of the bait plate, then add a nut or candy on top. This helps the bait to stay centered on the bait plate.
Read our full review on the Havahart Mouse trap to get more tips and watch the video that shows exactly how to set the trap.
2. Smart Mouse Trap – Humane Mouse Trap
The Smart Mouse Trap is the prettiest of the humane mouse traps. It is made from green, transparent plastic and is shaped like a slim little mouse house.
This mouse trap has the distinction of being recommended by Humane Societies and Animal Rights organizations both in the United States and worldwide.
How It Works
There is a stainless-steel spring under a plastic platform that snaps the trap door closed after the mouse steps on the trigger plate.
You place the bait in a removable “door” between 2 pieces of plastic, so the mouse does not actually eat the bait. Choose one of the stronger smelling mouse trap baits when using this trap.
- Cute Design
- No-kill, live catch trap
- Larger than other types of “humane” mouse traps like the mice cubes or tip and trap versions. The measurements are: 7.2 x 4.1 x 2.4 inches.
- Includes ventilation holes in the top, so the mouse has enough oxygen to survive for a little while before you release him.
- The latch that keeps the door closed is made of plastic. Some owners reported the mouse chewing through the latch so the door won’t stay closed.
- It’s a little tricky to set until you get the hang of it.
Tips for using the Smart Mouse Trap
- The trap door mechanism is not super sensitive and may not be triggered when catching smaller mice. You can place a penny or dime on top of the trigger plate to help add some weight.
- In addition to placing bait between the plastic plates, you can add a few cracker crumbs or pet food in the back of the trap to entice the mouse to enter & give him a snack while he is waiting to be released.
3. CaptSure Original Humane Mouse Trap
The folks at CaptSure created an improved design over the small plastic tube traps that is easy to use and easy to clean. The trap is made of a semi-clear hard plastic tunnel-shaped tube. It has a very simple and efficient design for trapping a mouse.
How It Works
A removable bait station is located at one end of the trap. Lift the bait compartment, place the bait inside, then slide it back into place.
Next, open the door on the other side by pressing it down until it clicks in place. The open door allows the mouse to easily walk inside to get the bait.
Once the mouse crosses into the center of the tube, the door latch releases closing it behind him. Ventilation holes are located on both ends of the plastic tube, so the mouse won’t suffer while waiting to be released.
- Non-lethal, live catch trap
- Easy to set, press and click trap door
- The removable bait compartment makes it much easier to clean.
- Easier to fit in tight spaces. The measurements are 6.7 x 2.4 x 2.5 inches
- It can only catch one mouse at a time.
Tips for using the CaptSure mouse trap
- Use just a small amount of high-calorie bait such as hazelnut, peanut butter or chocolate. Don’t overload the trap.
- Wear gloves when handling the trap so it doesn’t pick up your scent.
- Place the trap in an out of the way location where the mice are nesting or along their travel routes.
Which is the Best Humane Mouse Trap?
So, which is the best humane mouse trap? We prefer the metal live catch traps. Why? For the simple reason that it is the safest, most humane version of the live mouse traps.
The wire mesh design allows mice to get plenty of fresh air after being captured. After watching one too many mice suffer from being stuck in a plastic trap too long, this is the choice for us.
If you have time to check the trap more often or if you have pets and children in the house, then the CaptSure or Smart Mouse trap are two good choices.
Whichever humane mouse trap you prefer, you can sleep easier at night knowing you have been kind to all – even the littlest mouse.
Shop a selection of humane catch and release mouse traps on Amazon.com